Posts Tagged ‘crimesider’

Ja Rule pleads guilty to tax evasion

Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011
Credit: AP Photo/Seth Wenig

Rapper, 35, Ja Rule admitted to tax evasion on more than $3 million in income and pleased guilty in federal court in New Jersey.

The case was based on income earned  between 2004 and 2006.

The government agreed to dismiss two counts against him for unpaid taxes on income earned in 2007 and 2008 as part of a plea arrangement.

He faces up to one year in prison and $100,000 in fines on each count.  Sentence will be given on the tax evasion charges in June..

He has already agreed to a two-year prison term on an attempted weapon possession charge that he pleaded guilty to in December after police found a loaded gun in his luxury sports car when it was stopped for speeding after a July 2007 concert.

The rapper was nominated for a 2002 best rap album Grammy for “Pain is Love.”

He has also appeared in “The Fast and the Furious” and 2003’s “Scary Movie 3.”


Related Blogs

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

Buju Banton found guilty of cocaine and gun charges

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011

After 11 hours deliberation a federal jury returned their verdict on the fate of Grammy winner reggae singer Banton.  He was found guilty of three of the four charges he faced.

The Jamaican reggae singer, won his Grammy just last week for best reggae album for “Before the Dawn.”

He was found guilty on Tuesday of conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute cocaine, possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense and using the wires to facilitate a drug trafficking offense. He was acquitted of attempted possession with the intent to distribute cocaine.

Wildly popular in his native Jamaica, his trial was based on accusations that he conspired with two other men in setting up a drug deal in December of 2009.  The courtroom was packed with supporters that included other well known reggae artists.

Prosecutors argued that Banton portrayed himself as a broker of drug deals in several conversations with a confidential informant.  Defense attorneys countered that he was simply a “big talker” trying to impress.

This was Banton’s second trial. A jury deadlocked in his first trial last year.

Related Blogs

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

Philidelphia Priests charged with raping young Boys, after Grand Jury Probe

Friday, February 11th, 2011

After a two-year grand jury investigation into priest abuse in the archdiocese, two Roman Catholic priests, a former priest and a Catholic school teacher in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia were charged Thursday with raping young boys.  The current case, involves two victims one of them a boy who was allegedly abused by two priests and his sixth-grade teacher at St. Jerome Paris.  The offenses are alleged to have started when he was a 10-year-old altar boy in 1998.

The other victim was a 14-year-old boy abused by another priest who previously served in the same parish and had a prior history of impropriety with minors, the report said.

In relation to incidents like these and other similar incidents, a former high-ranking church official was accused of transferring problem priests to new parishes.  The church official also failed to warn anyone of prior sex-abuse complaints.

Monsignor William Lynn was charged by the grand jury with endangering children in his role as secretary for clergy under former Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua.

Lynn, 60, failed in his duty to protect children in the five-county archdiocese.  His duty was to refer priests with known sexual problems for rehabilitation or prosecution, District Attorney Seth Williams said in announcing the charges.

“He instead lied to parishioners and went out of his way to reassign priests without telling pastors or principals that they were pedophiles,” Williams said.

Lynn’s defense lawyer said the two endangerment counts should not apply because Lynn did not have any children under his care. He also questioned the merits of the charges, which carry a maximum 14-year prison term.

“We certainly don’t concede for a moment that he knew he was putting children at risk,” lawyer Tom Bergstrom told The Associated Press.

Lynn figured prominently in a scathing 2005 grand jury report that found 63 priests in the archdiocese had been credibly accused of child sexual assault over several decades while local church officials turned a blind eye.  Frustrated prosecutors then concluded, though, that they could not file any criminal charges because the statute of limitations on the crimes had expired.

Pennsylvania has since revised laws to give child sex-assault victims more time to report abuse, while the archdiocese under Cardinal Justin Rigali has pledged to refer credible complaints to law enforcement.

Related Blogs

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

Reality TV Star, Rashidah Ali, Sued By Bouncer for $10 Million

Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

Rashidah Ali is being sued by a bouncer at an upscale New York City club for allegedly sliced him from his hairline to his mouth on January 26th.

Joe Wright who was injured in the alleged attack suffered a severed nerve and artery and 50 stitches, reports the New York Daily News. Ali who calls herself the “shoe consultant to the stars” is being sued for $10 million.

Ali allegedly rushed through the crowd and began clawing at the 31-year-old bouncer.

“I felt her hand reach through and start grabbing at my face,” he told the Daily News.”She’s clawing over my eye, at my face, and I didn’t feel anything at first…Then I realized I felt the blood dripping down my shirt. I was leaking,” the bouncer recalled.

According to The New York Daily News, Ali, owner of boutiques in Harlem and Atlanta, managed to flee the scene.

Wright’s civil suit, which was filed in Manhattan Supreme Court Tuesday, claims Ali got aggressive when the Greenhouse Nightclub bouncer tried to eject two drunken party-goers from the VIP section of Ali’s birthday bash, reports The Daily News.

Related Blogs

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

Lindsay Lohan under investigation in $5,000 Jewelry Theft, Say Reports

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011


With a court date still looming for earlier offences Lindsay Lohan is reportedly under investigation.  This time however, it is for the possible theft of a $5,000 necklace.

“Law enforcement sources tell RadarOnline.com that Lindsay is suspected to have stolen a high-end piece of jewelry, most likely a necklace,” Dylan Howard Sr., executive editor of the celebrity gossip website, told CBS News’ “The Early Show.”

Due to the $5,000 tag on the necklace, this would make the alleged crime a felony.

Reportedly the store surveillance video to support their claim and it is in the hands of the Los Angeles Police Department

“As we understand it,” Howard says, “police have in their possession video they believe forms a very powerful piece of evidence in this case – video that shows Lindsay Lohan wearing the necklace in question.”

A search warrant has been requested for Lohan’s new home in Venice Beach, Calif., according to the reports but a Lohan associate has already turned the necklace over to them.

Smart thinking Lindsay!

Related Blogs

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

Second Death in Disney-Developed Community

Friday, December 3rd, 2010

Just days after the Disney Development community of Celebration reported its first ever homicide Florida police are investigating another death according to authorities.

According to CBS affiliate WKMG, Craig Foushee, 52, barricaded himself in his home on Thursday afternoon for more than 14 hours before killing himself after Foushee allegedly shot at deputies several times although fortunately no deputies were injured.  The deputies did not return fire because they could not get a clear shot.

Foushee was inside home alone, and officials closed streets in the area for hours while negotiating with him.  Authorities evacuated nearby homes, and public schools in Celebration were put on lockdown.

Deputies set out tear gas ater more than 14 hours of negotiations  and used a robot to ensure that it was safe to enter the home.  When they gained access they found Foushee dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Sheriff’s spokeswoman Twis Lizasuain said there was no connection between Foushee and Matteo P. Giovanditto, who was found dead by a local resident in his Celebration condominium Monday.

A Facebook profile with Foushee’s name and hometown of Celebration, Fla. showed him describing his daughters as “my treasures.” In April, he allegedly posted that he “went from being married to single.”

Walt Disney Promotions

Related Blogs

VN:R_U [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)

Jesse Thornhill: The Horned Man was Arrested for Allegedly Trying to Run Over Landlord

Thursday, July 15th, 2010

OK you would think that anyone who looked like this would think about it carefully before they committed a crime, or at least wear something over his face.  But not Jesse Thornhill, whose horns and distinctive tattoos would make the 28-year-old stand out in any lineup.

Police say he tried to run down his female landlord Tuesday evening with his 1996 Ford Windstar minivan after an altercation.

Thornhill who was arrested for assault with a dangerous weapon has since been bonded out of jail.  According to the arrest sheet, Thornhill’s mother called the police and stated the she and her neighbor, who is also her son’s landlord, had been having problems with Thornhill.

Police responded to the call and when they arrived at the residence, they spoke to the landlord, who claimed that Thornhill tried to strike her with his minivan but she managed to jump out of the way.

Police were given an unmistakable description (imagine that!) of the tattooed, branded, pierced, and horned man located him, and took him to jail.

You gotta ask yourself, would you rent one of your properties to this guy?

Related Blogs

VN:R_U [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)